About Us


Dover Veterinary Hospital Blog


Recently, there has been an increase in the number of people who are home brewing beer at home. Important information to know if you are a home brewer:

At least nine cases of hop toxicity in dogs have been recorded by the National Animal Poison Control Center at the University of Illinois in Urbana, IL. Seven of the dogs were Greyhounds, one Labrador Retriever, and most recently a Golden Retriever. 7 out of the 9 dogs died.

Ingestion of hops results in malignant hyperthermia, an uncontrollable fever. The first symptom to become obvious to an owner is heavy panting. Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat) will also be present, at up to 200 beats per minute. Temperature may rise as quickly as 2 degrees F every five minutes. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood rise dramatically. If ANY of these signs are present or there is a possibility that your dog ingested spent hops, get your dog to an emergency clinic AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The most basic lesson to be learned from all this is that brewing chemicals, ingredients, and spent materials of all types should be stored, handled and disposed of properly. Animals and children make toys and food out of anything they can reach.

Even empty brewing vessels can pose a threat if used improperly and can become the focus of a household accident.

< Back To List of Breaking News Articles

Back to Top